- State government employees and applicants for state government employment may file a Discrimination Complaint with OEES within 180 days of the last alleged discriminatory act.
- Attach any supporting documentation, including the Witness Identification Form.
- The Complaint Form may be sent by mail or fax at the contact information shown below.
- OEES will promptly notify you in writing whether your complaint has been accepted for investigation.
Contact Information for OEES
(800) 533-1414 Toll Free
(804) 225-2136 Richmond Area
For TTY/TDD users, please call thru Relay 711
(804) 371-7401 Fax
Department of Human Resource Management
Office of Equal Employment Services
101 North 14th Street, 12th Floor
Richmond, VA 23219
OEES conducts comprehensive investigations of allegations of discrimination. Once a complaint has been accepted, it will be assigned to a Specialist to investigate. OEES will:
- Conduct a thorough investigation and keep you advised of the progress of your case.
- Request documentation from the agency.
- Interview witnesses.
- Conduct an on-site investigation, if necessary.
- Upon completion of the investigatory process, both you and the agency will be forwarded a letter regarding the findings.
- Seek appropriate remedy if discrimination is found to have occurred.
- Efforts will be made to complete an investigation within 120 days of it being assigned to an investigator, pending staff resources.
Certain cases may be suitable for mediation
Some cases may be selected for resolution through mediation rather than having a full investigation conducted. While an individual may seek to mediate his complaint, not all cases will be suitable for this process; OEES will determine whether or not it is appropriate. Mediation may be ideal because:
- It allows the complainant and the respondent to take ownership of the outcome.
- Participation is voluntary. An individual can always choose to have an investigation conducted instead.
- A mediator facilitates communication among the participants and helps them express their issues and provides a safe and positive environment in which to do so.
- Everything that takes place in a mediation session is confidential.
- Most cases are resolved within 30 days, saving time and resources.
Individuals seeking confidential advice on discrimination issues may call the OEES at (800) 533-1414 or (804) 225-2136 to speak with a State EEO Specialist between 8:15am and 5:00pm weekdays. Messages may be left after regular work hours. The Specialist will:
- Listen to your concerns
- Explain the relevant employment laws and state policies
- Advise you on your options for resolving your concerns
- Refer you to other state and federal agencies for assistance, if necessary
- Explain how to file a complaint with OEES.